1) The analysis and study of mastication is explained through the definition of the Planas Functional Masticatory Angle (PFMA).
2) Planas' treatment methodology became really important in a wide range of treatment areas:
- Orthodontics: By molding child development to reach both esthetic and functional results through an appropiate balanced occlusion. In these interventions is fundamental to treat the patient through masticatory functional stimulation at a very early age (temporary dentition). Nevertheless, it is even applicable to adult patients.
- Prosthodontics: In full mouth and complex rehabilitations, besides an appropriate esthetic result accepted by the patient, the goal is to obtain a final occlusion as balanced as possible so the patient will benefit from an improved masticatory function, a general health condition and quality of life.
- Temporo-Mandibular Joint (TMJ): Finally, an important treatment field is the one derived from Temporo-Mandibular Disorders (TMD). A fundamental factor to treat these dysfunctions will always be to achieve a correct masticatory function through a balanced occlusion.
3) Our treatment philosophies do not intend to rival with modern treatment protocols or new dental technologies.